Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Right is Killing Us


The belief that I am right and you are wrong is killing all of us. We all need a good dose of humility. The tragic irony of the “War between the States” more Americans were killed in this war than all the other wars combined in American history. It was not only brother killing brother, but Christian killing other Christians over who was right in the name of God. There is currently an ongoing political and spiritual debate that divides us in much the same way today.

I share as one who believes in God, however humbly admitting how does any finite man encounter/relate/explain the infinite God?  How does anthropocentric man, by definition a self consumed egocentric entity interpret God?  I must acknowledge at best my ability to explain the concept of God or the divine flows out of a very limited knowledge at best. So when I share my faith I share not out of the need of being right but out of humility and respect for those who may disagree.

Jesus didn’t give the first commandment that you would be right about everything concerning your faith and politics in life. He simply said, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” He then summarized all good religion with the second commandment. “Love your neighbor as yourself.” I think He could be right about that.    

1 comment:

  1. God loves us, one and all, no matter what our imperfections. Jesus told us to not cast stones ... your comment above says it all for me, Pastor Paul! Thank you

    ReplyDelete